Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vacation Stress

We need vacations, most of the industrial world makes their workers take time off. That time away from the daily routine is vital to keeping us from running screaming into the night.

Having just returned from a 10 day vacation to DisneyWorld, I wanted to share some thoughts. When I arrived there I was tighter than a spring that was tightened to the breaking point. I didn't realize it until my lady pointed it out to me. Once I was aware of that, I was able to start relaxing. But I spent a third of my vacation in a over stressed state.

Next time I take off for a break I'm going to try to monitor my stress level and keep from wasting my hard earned time off in a state of "I'm trying to pick a fight".

This has been a hard year for a lot of us and that leads to a higher than normal stress level. When I finally relaxed it was amazing how much more fun everything was. I took to much baggage along with me, I took mental garbage that should have been left at home. I took it all with me and it nearly ruined what should have been a super good time.

The other part of the vacation stress is how fast the time passes. Ten days went by like a weekend. Especially since it took three days to be on vacation before I realized I was still carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders.

My plan for the next vacation, which is in January, is to be aware that I'm stressed and keep it in check. A person can choose to be controlled by the stress or they can choose to put it aside and get on with their lives. I'm going to choose to put it aside next time. I will reread what I just wrote the day before I leave and the day I arrive.

Am I weird, or do any of the rest of you experience the same thing? Or do you see it in your beloved other.

Relaxed Panda

No comments: