Friday, November 21, 2008

How Bad Do You Want It?

The Tim McGraw song, "How Bad Do You Want It", was the voice of the angel on my shoulder this morning. I have to work a couple of 12 hour shifts the next two days so I was laying in bed thinking I'll just rest and go to work the next two days. The voice of the devil on one shoulder was saying "It's flipping COLD outside", my angel voice was "How Bad Do You Want It", while the devil voice was, "You will be tired all day and you need to rest". My angel countered with, "How Bad Do You Need It", and finally won me over. I do want it and I do need it. I can't take a step back just because it's a little inconvenient right now.

I got up and had some cereal and coffee, headed off to the gym and had a really good workout. Now I not only feel super and awake but energized. So yes I'm glad I got up and took care of business. Not only that I feel good about myself for getting up. I would have had a feeling of guilt if I'd just stayed in bed. We all need to define ourselves by how many battles like that we win and not how many times we give in. Remember you get stronger every time you resist the temptations that life throws at us.

We have a long winter ahead of us and at least for me now is the time to take charge and be strong. I will be a better athlete for it but more important a tougher person. I want to be proud of me not guilty about being weak. If I start giving in now it will get easier and easier to give in later as the days get darker and colder.

My mantra this year has been "Earn It". I want a strong athletic body and I want to be a faster walker and a contender in races. I can't accomplish these goals laying under the warm covers. I have to get up and get going, I have to earn them.

Thanks for reading.

Stronger Panda

No comments: