Thursday, September 11, 2008

I want to say something today about this being 9/11, a day that Americans will not soon forget. It was a day of terror and also of heroism. People don't plan to be heroes, it just happens and when it does a person's character is tested to the limits. Along with all the famous phrases that we as free people remember a new phrase will take it's place of honor: "Let's Roll". Thank you passengers of flight 93, may you sleep in peace. When our country needed a battle cry to rally us to action you provided it.

We live in difficult times and we often feel helpless to do anything about it. I wear a little gold charm around my neck that says, "Grant me the serenity to accept what I can not change, the courage to change what I can and the wisdom to know the difference". It seems to me to be a good rule to live by. There is so much we can't change but there is a heck of a lot of things that affect our lives every day that we can make better.

Think about what you would like to change about your life. I can't without major surgery ever be handsome like a movie star, and I can't ever be 20 years old again. When you get to be my age you start having thoughts like, "If someone wrote a book about your life, would anyone want to read it". Or, "Is the world a better place because I am part of it".

You only get one life, are you happy with it? If not why not, what do you want to change? Do you have goals or a plan to accomplish your goals? There is a saying that you can't hit a target you can't see. You can't accomplish a goal you can't see either. You have to decide what you want to change and make a good plan to accomplish it. If it's losing weight or getting in good shape, you are at the right place. If you want to be rich and famous, sorry I don't have a clue.

The place to start is to visualize yourself at your new weight or able to do what you want to do. If your goal is to do a race, 5K, 10K, half or full marathon, you have to be able to see yourself crossing the finish line. If your goal is to lose some extra fluff you have to visualize yourself at the new lower weight. Once you can see it, make a commitment to you, "I want this and I can do this".

When you change what you can change you are a hero, even if it's only to you. But you might find that more people than you think will be proud of you. "Let's Roll".

Free Panda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog Panda. Like I said on the WISH board, I really appreciate your thoughful posts over there. I'm going to share this blog with the friends I am running the Half with.

Allyson
MomofCKJ on the DIS