Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dream a Little Dream

One of the things we could all do to make ourselves healthier is to get more sleep. Sleep is when our body heals it's self and repairs all the damage we did to it. But for a lot of us geting more sleep is harder than getting in our exercise time to begin with.

I try to get in bed by 10:30 to 11:00pm and I'm up at 5:00am. Not near the recommended 7 to 8 hours that is supposed to be the best. I do often take an hour nap after my morning workout. This works pretty well for me but I still feel tired all day after a hard workout if I don't get the nap.

When you work full time, have a family and do good quality workouts it's hard to get 8 hours for straight sleeping, at least for me. I'm sure if you have children in school it's even worse. But rest is rest is rest and one thing we can do is when we take a rest day, try to sleep in and get our magic 8 hours.

It doesn't and wouldn't ever work for me but the ideal exercise schedule is to do a quality workout every other day with a rest day between workout days. I can't do this for several reasons. First I need a routine, habit, to keep me doing the workouts, every day I miss makes it easier to miss another and then another till before long I'm out of the habit and start losing ground. Second, I enjoy it. I wake up excited for the days workout. Third I can't get eveything in with just an every other day schedule.

I get my best sleep on Sunday night into monday morning, then up for our weeks LSD, followed by the yard work right now, then a nap after. Erica has a weird sleep schedule, on her work nights she survives for 3 days on about 4 or 5 hours, but on her off days she often gets 12 hours of sleep a night.

What ever your schedule, if you find you are tired all the time try to find a little extra time for sleep. Rest is fine but your body needs real sleep for repair and rebuilding.

Thanks for reading.

Resting Panda

No comments: