Thursday, July 2, 2009

Yes I can!

There is a saying that if you have the right attitude that everything is possible. That's is true to an extent, being positive with take you further than being negative. But no amount of positive thinking will help you do something that's just not going to happen. I can be positive that a pro ball team will discover me while I'm working out at the gym and offer me a million dollar contract, but it ain't happening. I can be positive I'll wake up tomorrow so pretty that I'll be the next movie star heart throb, but I won't.

But when we put that positive thinking to work on something that really is possible, then it's magic. You may not be the next action hero but you can get and stay in good physical condition. You can with the right attitude and the proper action do some amazing things. Walking or running regularly probably won't make you a super star but it can take you places you never imagined possible. Several of my friends have with just a regular walking or running program and eating more healthy completed marathons and even ultras.

Positive attitudes along with the powerful spirit we all possess to overcome the road blocks that life throws at us will allow you to do a lot. You have to start with a "Yes I can" attitude and then make it happen. You have to be a bit of a dreamer and keep the dream going. If you just say I'm going to lose 10 lbs, that's a good short term goal but you can't look at that as the finish line but as another milestone on a larger journey. The journey I speak of is a long healthy life, a life filled with joy and accomplishment.

As we get older we have to adapt and adjust our outlook at what we are capable of but we can't sell ourselves short either. We have to give a little ground but we still need that, "Yes I can", attitude. Eating right, getting regular exercise and enjoying life isn't something we have to give up as age, with the right attitude, proper preparation and realistic expectations we can continue to have awesome times.

Every January a lot of people with that, "Yes I can", attitude gather at Walt Disney World for a celebration of health, fitness and life. The magic and the energy flowing there has to be experienced to be believed. We need to carry a little of that magic with us every day. Keep saying to yourself, "I can do this", and then make it happen.

Thanks for reading.

Rambling Panda

No comments: