Thursday, January 13, 2011

How NOT to do a Goofy Challenge

I have just returned from Walt Disney World where I completed an event called the Goofy Challenge. This event consists of a half marathon on Saturday and then a full marathon the following day. An event such as this should never be taken lightly and the chance of injury is significant. You should never do such an event without at least a minimal amount of training. All that being said......

Sally had never done an endurance event before this year, during this year she had trained for and successfully completed two 5K races and a 10K. Her official half training started toward the end of October so she had at best two and a half months to get ready. About this same time our weather turned unseasonably cold so her training was walking in the mall. I started her with walks of 30 min 4 days the first two weeks, walks of 45 min 4 days the third and forth week and walks of an hour 4 days a week the next two weeks. Then we added a walk of an hour and a half one day a week for 2 weeks along with 3 other days of an hour. Then she increased to a walk of an hour an 45 min for 2 weeks and finally a walk of 2 hours for two weeks still keeping the other 3 days at an hour. She did the half marathon walking at a pace right at 16 min a mile, with a potty stop and 2 stops to massage out a toe cramp she completed the distance in 3 hours and 38 min.

I've said many times and it's worked for a lot of people, that working up to a couple of 2 hour walks can get you through a half marathon. Unfortunately this was all the training I got also. I had developed a bad PF injury and was just recovering when Sally started her training. I was going to increase my training during that time but ended up catching a bad head and chest cold the last 2 weeks before the trip to Disney.

The half with Sally went smoothly for me and except for tired feet I felt fine. Then we walked the two miles back to the hotel, had a light lunch and took a shower and a nap. When I woke from the nap I couldn't put weight on my right foot. I hobbled into the bathroom and ran a tub of hot water and sat in it massaging my feet and calves, after about 30 min of this I dried off and tried walking again. I could walk but my foot was still very tender. We walked a couple of miles to Epcot and back slow and easy, to get some dinner. Then I took some Advil and went to bed. At 2am when it was time to get up I was able to walk pretty good so decided to try to do the marathon.

I grabbed a couple of pool towels on the way to the bus so I could sit on them at the staging area and the start. I knew I had a slim chance of finishing with the training I had leading up to here so as soon as I got to the staging area I sat on my towels and didn't get up till time to walk to the start corrals. At the start corrals I sat on my towels till it was time to go. Then I stood up and did some easy stretching and got ready to go.

When our corral started I was with Robert and we had decided to do our own race and not try to stay together. I went out at a 14:30 pace and my plan was to just try to hold that pace as long as possible to build up a time buffer for later in the race when my lack of training was going to be a demon to battle. I ended up keeping that pace for the first half and then finally slowing to about 15 min a mile for the second half. I had problems with soreness in my right arch, my left toes and balls of both feet. I popped a couple of the pain tablets at the Med tent and pressed on. I drank Powerade at every water stop and had about 4 bananas and a couple of gels. My energy level stayed good and the pain pills took the edge of my foot issues.

I was enjoying the race but expecting any time to have a melt down but the slow pace and the just keep moving attitude worked. I finished in 6:33, not pretty but in the book and then it was beer and party time. I did come away with a new confidence and resolve to get my fitness level back to where it needed to be.

Thanks for reading.

Rambling Panda

No comments: